Aug 30 2010

What is water transfer printing or hydrographics?

Category: Printing & Publishing


Water transfer printing, hydrographics, and water transfer imaging are terms used to describe a technique used to add a printed design or pattern to any two or three-dimensional rigid object using water displacement. The process starts with a water tank where a polyvinyl film is immersed and dissolved into water. After being prepped, the substrate is dipped into the tank allowing full coverage on all sides of the object from the design element. Once covered completely and dried, a smooth consistent image appears, creating an entirely new look. Water transfer printing can be applied to a variety of materials such as glass, metal, plastic, fiberglass, and wood.

Tags: , , , , ,



Challenge this Answer and/or Discuss